Thursday, January 9, 2014

Fast Internet or Slow Internet?

With online education becoming more and more prominent, it's important to remember the technological infrastructure that needs to be in place to make it a success. Today's Washington Post highlights this on one of their blogs, GovBeat, by showing an infographic of the fastest and slowest Internet speeds in the United States.




The really fascinating dissection of this map comes, however, from the site which posted it first (which may even have created the map): Gizmodo. That article talks more about the source of the data, and even gives the data a quick comparison against things like population density and income levels of the various areas.

The data used to create this map comes from OOkla's Net Index, which uses self-check speed sites like Speedtest.net to collect the speed information. You can download and play with the data yourself on the Net Index site: http://www.netindex.com/source-data/

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my download speed-62.23 mbps
    upload speed-2.88mbps

    just checked my speed from ScanMySpeed.com

    apparently my internet speed is faster than before,i m guessing its good. but my dream speed is 100mbps

    ReplyDelete
  3. At work, wired, I'm running 66.16 download and 56.49 upload, while streaming my music. (I used that speedtest site the map mostly used). I need to try at home, I suspect the difference will be huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fast internet is considered to be the best source for implementing different applications. For this; you had to apply tests to its speed like Speed Test.

    ReplyDelete